Our pets have become members of the family, working, playing, eating, and sleeping at our sides. To ensure that we live together harmoniously, training helps both human and canine family members learn each other’s needs and limits.
We offer low-cost group dog training classes, with discounts for recent PSPCA adopters. Below are the currently scheduled classes. Please click on the registration links below or call 215-426-6300 ext. 260 to reserve a spot in an upcoming class.
About the Trainers: Our trainers believe strongly in strengthening the bond between human and companion animal. For this reason, they regard training as an exercise in building relationship rather than obedience. Such an approach promises greater understanding and symbiosis within our family packs. All PSPCA trainers are certified by the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers.
Group Training Classes
Basic Relationship Training
This class is recommended for puppies older than 5 months and adult dogs who haven’t yet attended training classes. We’ll cover basic cues, such as eye contact, sit, down, coming when called, etc., impulse control; leash skills; problem prevention.
- Saturdays, March 24 - April 28 from 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. at 350 E. Erie Avenue. Register here!
- Wednesdays, April 11 - May 16 from 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. at 350 E. Erie Avenue. Register here!
When your puppy is between the ages of 4 weeks to about 4 months old, they are going through a sensitive socialization period. If you don't want your puppy to be afraid of something as an adult, now is the time to teach him to be comfortable with it! Puppy Socials will help your puppy get used to other dogs, people, and the environment.
Our certified trainers will answer your questions about common puppy problems, such as house training, chewing, mouthing, jumping up, and other behaviors you may need help with, while giving your puppy a chance to interact with other puppies.
You can come to a single session or come to as many as you like, until your puppy is too old to attend (older than 16 weeks). Family and young children are welcome.
- Tuesday, March 13 from 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. Register now!
- Do not feed your dog prior to class. We want your pup hungry and ready to work.
- Keep your dog away from other dogs at all times.
- Don’t bring a sick pup to class! You may attend without your dog.
- Appropriate walking equipment: a flat or martingale collar, or a no-pull harness or head halter; no choke or prong collars please.
- Bring 4 or 5 different tasty treats in a bait bag or fanny pack.
- Bring a favorite toy and stuffed Kong.
- There are no make-up classes for a missed class; it is considered a forfeited class.
- No refunds granted once the class has begun.
- Proof of current vaccinations (Rabies & DHPP) required.*
*Bordetella and canine influenza vaccinations are recommended. They are available through a PSPCA low-cost vaccine clinic.