Our pets have become members of the family, working, playing, eating, and sleeping at our sides. To ensure that we live together harmoniously, training helps both human and canine family members learn each other’s needs and limits.
We offer low-cost group dog training classes, with discounts for recent PSPCA adopters. Below are the currently scheduled classes. Please click on the registration links below or call 215-426-6300 ext. 260 to reserve a spot in an upcoming class.
About the Trainers: Our trainers believe strongly in strengthening the bond between human and companion animal. For this reason, they regard training as an exercise in building relationship rather than obedience. Such an approach promises greater understanding and symbiosis within our family packs. All PSPCA trainers are certified by the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers.
Group Training Classes
Basic Relationship Training
This class is recommended for puppies older than 5 months and adult dogs who haven’t yet attended training classes. We’ll cover basic cues, such as eye contact, sit, down, coming when called, impulse control; leash skills; problem prevention.
- Wednesdays, March 6 - April 10 from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. at 350 E. Erie Avenue. Register here!
- Thursdays, April 25 - May 30 from 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. at 350 E. Erie Avenue. Register here!
This class is recommended for Basic Training graduates who want to hone their skills. Distance, duration, distraction, and other exercises will be added to all of the exercises introduced in Basic Training.
- Check back for upcoming dates!
Have you recently added a puppy to your family? Then join us for Puppy Preschool!
This 6 week course is for puppies under 4 months old, and covers everything you and your family need to know about raising a puppy and how to turn them into well-behaved adult dogs.
You'll learn about house-training, how to stop mouthing/biting/jumping up, chewing/destroying things, and some basic behaviors like sit, come, and walking nicely on a leash, plus much more! Your puppy will also get the chance to play with the other puppies in class, helping them build the social skills they will need with both dogs and humans.
Pups must be up to date on their age appropriate vaccinations. If you have any questions, just email our certified trainer at email@example.com for more info!
Stay tuned for upcoming classes.
This course is for dogs who react negatively to other dogs on leash, such as barking or lunging at them. Because of the nature of this course, places are very limited, so early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment.
During these classes you will learn why your dogs react the way they do towards other dogs and how to teach them alternate, more desirable behaviors, using only reward based, positive reinforcement techniques. This class will give you the set of tools you need to be better equipped at handling and managing your dog.
- Wednesdays, May 1 - May 29 from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. at 350 E. Erie Avenue.
When your puppy is between the ages of 4 weeks to about 4 months old, they are going through a sensitive socialization period. If you don't want your puppy to be afraid of something as an adult, now is the time to teach him to be comfortable with it! Puppy Socials will help your puppy get used to other dogs, people, and the environment.
Our certified trainers will answer your questions about common puppy problems, such as house training, chewing, mouthing, jumping up, and other behaviors you may need help with, while giving your puppy a chance to interact with other puppies.
You can come to a single session or come to as many as you like, until your puppy is too old to attend (older than 16 weeks). Family and young children are welcome.
- Check back for new classes soon!
- Do not feed your dog prior to class. We want your pup hungry and ready to work.
- Keep your dog away from other dogs at all times.
- Don’t bring a sick pup to class! You may attend without your dog.
- Appropriate walking equipment: a flat or martingale collar, or a no-pull harness or head halter; no choke or prong collars please.
- Bring 4 or 5 different tasty treats in a bait bag or fanny pack.
- Bring a favorite toy and stuffed Kong.
- There are no make-up classes for a missed class; it is considered a forfeited class.
- No refunds granted once the class has begun.
- Proof of current vaccinations (Rabies & DHPP) required.*
*Bordetella and canine influenza vaccinations are recommended. They are available through a PSPCA low-cost vaccine clinic.